Wednesday, January 23, 2013

2013 Top Prospect List: #20 Jonathan Reynoso, of

Courtesy: MILB.com
JONATHAN REYNOSO
DOB: 1/7/1993
HEIGHT: 6-3, WEIGHT: 177, B/T: R/R

Unfortunately, I don't quite have the resources or coverage that MLB organizations have, so every once in a while a prospect (usually very young and signed out of Latin America) comes along that presents a problem. And, this year, Jonathan Reynoso is that prospect. The problem is that all reports indicate that he's simply too good not to be in the top 25 prospects, but there's very little information available on him. These prospect write-ups, for better or worse, are my own objective take on these prospects. I rely on as much information as I can find, but I like to form my own opinion, so I don't often read or utilize the analyses of others.

All that said, Baseball America just rated him 9th, Keith Law rated him 7th, and John Sickels rated him 13th. So, I either have to leave him out when he likely should be included or include him based solely and exclusively on the opinions of others. I'm not wild about either option, but in this case, I'll go with the latter.

In 2012 in the Arizona Rookie League, Reynoso hit .311/.328/.411/.739 in 190 AB to go along with 30 steals in 39 attempts and a 23/6 K/BB ratio while holding down center field. The previous two seasons he spent in Dominican Summer League, so 2012 was his first season state-side.

According to reports, Reynoso oozes tools, but he has a long way to go in the skills department. So, he's a boom-or-bust type prospect. High ceiling, very low floor. A lot of risk and a lot of upside. The lack of plate discipline is a very large, very real concern for me, but for now I'll slot him in at #20 on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment